Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Dr. Judith Favor - Birmingham Business Journal:

yfimuna.wordpress.com
Lots and lots of babies. Hesitantt to hazard a guess at first, she was kind enoug to call a reportere back a couple ofhours later: "You know, I thought it througjh and I know it would be safe to say at leastf 7,000." Oh my. Well, she laughs, that does includ the thousands of babies she deliveresd during her residency in obstetrics and gynecologyg atthe . For the past 15 years, she has been a principaol of , an ob-gyn practice at . Just as babies-to-bee have a way of doing thingd in their own goodtime -- includinyg right this instant if it suits them -- Favodr may have managed to bring so many into the worlfd by wasting none of her own.
She finished undergraduates school atJudson College, a respected Baptisty women's college in in three years. Her degre was in chemistry; her grade-point average was 4.0. From Judsomn it was on to the , wherde she graduated with honors. Her hometow is the county seatof Lowndes, whicbh had no doctors at all when Favofr was growing up. "It may have been partly becausse I was from a place withno physicians," Favo r says of her decisionb to become a "but it was really there (at that I decided I could best use my God-givenh abilities to help people." Today she is chairwomah of the Judson College board of trustees.
Spencd five minutes on the phone with Judithn Favor and the idea of her being a hero seemd contrary to everything she says aboutyher work. "We have a bulletin board of all thebabiea we've delivered (at Sparks Favor PC) ... and it reminds me each day of how fortunater I am to be in such a rewardingprofessiohn -- how much it meanss to share in those lives. I am very fortunate." She is less modesgt in praisingher colleagues: "For me," she says, "it's an honor to practice in But even in one of the nation's top-tier medical communities, Favorf says, "it's important to remain aware of the challengess we face, especially the challenge of meetingh the health-care needs of rural Alabama.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment